September 27, 2013

Sunshine Selenium Cereal with Oranges and Figs

In the last post, I sang the praises of my favorite fruit, the nectarine. In this post, I wanted to share with you a recipe I've been making frequently with another one of my favorite fruits, figs.


3 years ago, I'd never tasted a fresh fig. I only knew the flavor of figs through eating fig newtons years earlier. Boy was I missing out. The first thing I ever made with fresh figs was a fig and rose smoothie, and that was all it took to hook me in. I even tried to grow a fig tree with a trimming I acquired. Sadly, it didn't take root, but I'm going to try again this year.

I decided to give this fig cereal a nutritional boost by adding a couple of brazil nuts. Why? Well, brazil nuts are an excellent source of selenium. Selenium is a crucial mineral for vibrant health. Make sure you're getting enough! Brazil nuts are the best source of any food (plant or animal-derived), but a few other vegan foods that provide it are brown rice, oatmeal, spinach, and to a lesser extent, cashews, lentils, and bananas.


Selenium boasts a full range of health benefits. It works in tandem with vitamins C and E in the body, boosting antioxidant power. It is anti-inflammatory, is crucial for an optimally functioning thyroid and hormone production, supports a healthy immune system, is protective against cancer, helps balance cholesterol, and is an important mineral for beautiful skin.

This bowl is an antioxidant party, filled with selenium and vitamin C that will keep your body going strong in the present, and aid in rejuvenation for your future gorgeous self! Just one serving (1/2 of this recipe) provides a whopping 364% of your daily selenium needs, as well as 146% of your RDA for vitamin C. In addition, you'll get 1/3-1/2 of all of the B vitamins and zinc as well, 90% of the RDA for magnesium, 16 grams of protein, a good dose of calcium and iron, and a dash of vitamin E.



Sunshine Selenium Cereal with Oranges and Figs 
serves 2

1 cup of raw buckwheat groats, soaked at least 2 hours (or overnight)
10 figs, chopped
2 oranges, peeled
4 brazil nuts
1/2 tsp allspice
dash of cinnamon

- Soak buckwheat. Strain and rinse well. Place in a medium-sized mixing bowl.
- Chop figs and mix with buckwheat. Separate the mixture equally into two bowls and set aside.
- Put peeled oranges in a high-speed blender with the brazil nuts and allspice. Blend on high until it is smooth.
- Pour liquid over the cereal.
- Sprinkle with cinnamon and serve.

No comments:

Post a Comment