I haven't once felt like I was forcing myself to sit down and do this challenge. My desire to meditate daily evokes a feeling inside that is much akin to hunger. At some point in the early afternoon, this desire emerges that leads me to my meditation spot (just like my hunger pangs lead me to the kitchen).
Each day, my intuition guides me in choosing the music and essential oils that will help me to feel at home in my practice. I've enjoyed trying different thing: mantras, breath work, visualizations, various body positions, sounds/silence (I've confidently settled in with having music since I believe so strongly in its healing power). I've been playing around with essential oils (reviews coming!) and reading about color therapy. I'm intrigued by flower essences. I'm falling in love with the tones of Tibetan singing bowls, and I'm realizing that my deep, life-long connection to water extends to meditation, as it is one of my favorite nature sounds to listen to in the process of quieting my mind.
I began week 3 of my meditation last Friday, and I've seen some amazing changes in my life. A few of them are:
- Mood lift and a boost in overall feelings of well-being
- Stress reduction and ability to handle much more without reaching the point of frustration
- More empathy for others and a deeper sense of connection to them
- Growing awareness of my preferred methods of escape for uncomfortable emotions that arise
- Comfort in stillness and less of a need to be constantly doing something
That isn't even all of the benefits I've seen which shows how powerful meditation can be in such a short period of time. It's awesome to think of what will happen as I continue these 100 days and beyond. But more than that, I'm thankful for how I can appreciate each moment for what it is now.